Read/view “Plato’s Allegory of the Cave,” the Stephen Brookfield Critical Thinking video, and This is Water by David Foster Wallace video. Ask yourself, “Is there a difference between my perception of reality and reality itself?” Respond to this question while considering the following:
- What preconceptions do I have in my life that might distort my vision of reality (i.e., create cognitive biases)? To help guide your thinking, consider how Dr. Stephen Brookfield’s preconceptions distorted his vision of reality in the Stephen Brookfield Critical Thinking video or think about the situation of the prisoners in the cave or Wallace’s analysis of the supermarket.
- What are steps I can take to overcome my distorted vision so that I might learn to understand more about the world?
- Who has enhanced my knowledge of reality?
- Who has manipulated my mind in relation to reality?
- How can I break free from the bonds of those who seek to manipulate me